Friday, June 14, 2013

Lola Bag and a Pattern for YOU

I've been sewing stars for one of my son's quilts - I need 48 stars and I have 3! I didn't say I was sewing very fast! But I took a break and made myself a travel bag.  I made the same bag for Julia last year - she used it as a book bag and it actually survived the whole school year.  I couldn't believe it! Here's a photo of my new bag for you:
Each time I made the bag, I had to read and re-read the instructions.  I am not that literate when it comes to sewing garments or bags, so it may not have been the pattern.  I think it was me! With that said here is a picture of the pattern:
 
I decided to make my bow a little smaller that the original pattern.  I may change that after our trip.  We are taking my oldest son to college next week and I wanted to have enough room in my bag for my camera and lots and lots of tissues. I can't believe it's time for him to leave the nest - I'm happy for him and I know he's ready; but I'm not as ready as I thought I would be. I'll let you know what happens when we actually drive away and leave him there next time I write.  Wish me luck! 

Before I forget, would you be interested in this pattern? The pieces are cut out, but everything else is as it was when I purchased it. If more than one person is interested, I will have a draw for the new owner.  The shipping is on me.  Just leave me a note in the comment section if you would like the pattern.
 
See you soon!

8 comments:

  1. Aw Laurie,it always seems to be us parents who suffer more than our kids when they go off. is he going far?
    I love how your bag tuned out and sure would be interested to have a go at making one myself...so add me for the patten please

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh....tough times. I still remember dropping our son off and sobbing all the way home. Those first 18 years went so quickly.

    I love your bag and would love to make one too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laurie, I love your bag. This colour blue is one of my favourites.
    You have done a great job.
    All the best for your upcoming big event...hope all goes well for you all. Take care.xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great bag Laurie!! I'd love to make one as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I came here from your comment on another blog asking about the white "X" on string quilts. When I made mine, I cut 8" squares, (in my case, a medium blue, not white). I placed my yardstick down the center on the diagonal and drew a line on either side, which was my beginning line to add the strips. This method will give you the perfect "X" when you join your blocks. My strips were all random widths, perfect to use scraps. Hope this helps! xx debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute bag. I believe men make some of these patterns. Last week I tired to 3 days to figure out how to sew a shopping cart liner for the grand baby. Once I got it made, it was so easy to see how to make the next one. the first one is always complicated. I'd try yours too!

    Good luck on sending the son off. I remember what it was like for me to send my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laurie, I love your bag!! It looks way too difficult for me but you nailed it..right down to the smaller bow! Good thing it's roomy for all those tissues!! Keep smilin'!!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like this bag. I am new to your site and found it from Terry's and I have read all of Marie Bostwick's book they are fantastic. Have a grand day and visit me sometime. Hugs, Marie

    ReplyDelete

I really do appreciate you coming to my blog and reading what I have to share. And I especially want to say thank you for taking the time to comment!